The Uplands Science and Technology Foundation (USTF) seeks an experienced and collaborative leader to serve as its new CEO.
USTF is a nonprofit research foundation, formed in 2021 to accelerate the transformation of the WestGate Technology Park into a knowledge community and mixed-use innovation hub in the Indiana Uplands. The new CEO will take over at a pivotal moment for WestGate as the USTF moves to capitalize on the development of a $385 million microelectronics fabrication facility that was announced by Governor Eric Holcomb on November 21, 2022. The facility will bring 300-400 jobs with average wages near $100,000 per year and will have a catalytic impact on the park.
The new CEO will be charged with realizing the vision laid out in the ambitious WestGate Master Plan, which was developed in consultation with nationally recognized experts including TEConomy Partners, Perkins+Will, and The University Financing Foundation. The CEO will lead efforts to:
- Enhance the trajectory of growth at the WestGate innovation district;
- Ensure the Park supports the defense ecosystem that has developed around NSA Crane, the third largest naval installation in the world;
- Anchor a cluster of industry activity that achieves critical mass and attracts new users;
- Promote a sense of place through well-planned development patterns;
- Support key components of the Uplands Regional Defense Industry Strategy.
To achieve these goals, USTF leadership will advance research innovation, entrepreneurship and educational programs to anchor a vibrant mixed used community.
WestGate@Crane Technology Park is a 750 acre park located in Crane, IN, just outside the gates of NSA Crane, home to NSWC Crane, a research lab and leader within the DoD in microelectronics, hypersonics, AI, and other emerging technologies. NSWC Crane’s growing national prominence within the Department of Defense is creating new opportunities to attract contract partners to the park and develop new facilities, equipment, and capabilities that further Crane’s leadership in key technology areas. NSWC Crane’s leadership of the $2 billion Microelectronics Commons program within the CHIPS + Science Act is a current example of this kind of opportunity. The CEO will work closely with Crane to prepare for these opportunities and ensure that WestGate is positioned to capture them.
A major focus of the job will be implementation of the WestGate Master Plan and attraction of additional investment in the park. In addition, the CEO will:
- Employ proactive and strategic outreach efforts to expand partnerships and communicate a compelling vision for the future of WestGate to external stakeholders.
- Work with the Indiana economic development community to ensure that WestGate is a preferred destination for regional, state, and federal economic development initiatives.
- Grow the university and academic presence in the park, especially as it relates to talent pipelines and a planned multi-university applied research initiative. Powerhouse research and innovation institutions Indiana University and Purdue University already have a presence in the park and both are represented on the USTF board of directors.
- Assume responsibility for the administration of the USTF and for growing its funding. The USTF Board of Directors are seeking a candidate with an entrepreneurial mindset who will embrace the opportunity to build an organization from the ground up.
- Carry forward existing efforts to coalesce groups of stakeholders around streamlined governance in the park.
- Grow the existing Board of Directors for the strategic benefit of the organization and its stakeholders.
- Work closely with regional and state partners committed to growing opportunities in the Indiana Uplands.
About WestGate and the Indiana Uplands
WestGate Technology Park is currently home to approximately 850 employees. Since its inception in 2006, public entities have invested over $42 million in the park. The park is located adjacent to NSA Crane, home to one of the largest concentrations of engineers, scientists, and technicians in Indiana. Crane’s technology strengths include microelectronics, hypersonics, electronic devices, and artificial intelligence.
WestGate Technology Park is part of the beautiful Indiana Uplands region. The park is located at the intersection of Martin, Daviess, and Greene Counties, approximately 25 miles southwest of Bloomington. Bloomington is home to Indiana University and a nationally-recognized life sciences and medical device cluster. WestGate is near the intersection of I-69 (a new terrain section opened in 2016) and US 231, which is designated for significant upgrades by INDOT.
Compensation and Benefits
The anticipated salary range begins at $150,000. Health insurance and retirement benefits will be provided.
Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search process. To guarantee review, please submit a resume and cover letter by February 20th, 2023. Send resumes, cover letters, and questions to email@example.com.