A 2-3 year experience that provides a paid job, career credentials, and college courses while still in high school.
UpSkill is a modern youth apprenticeship program that offers students the chance to discover career interests and pathways they cannot learn in the classroom and employers the opportunity to grow their workforce. Serving as the intermediary organization, ROI facilitates this program with high schools, employers, and higher education partners in the Indiana Uplands.
UpSkill provides a 2-3 year opportunity for both the student and the employer. Participating students gain paid employment with on-the-job and related classroom instruction. ROI provides support with student applications, interviews, placement, trainings, and ongoing guidance.
How does it work?
Students are identified in their sophomore year in high school and participate in interviews. After being selected by employers, they begin their journey in their junior year with a 10-12 hour a week placement. In their senior year, students build up to 15-20 hours per week, which can lead to full or part-time employment, advanced training, or college coursework in the third year.
Potential Career Pathways
Automation & Robotics
Mechanical Design & Technologies
Acquisition & Logistics
Finance & Marketing
How is this different from an internship?
UpSkill is a longer experience for both the student and the employer that provides a multi-year placement and supporting instruction for a specific occupation. Activities at the worksite include on-the-job training and exposure to career possibilities. Additional training includes opportunities that align with industry requirements.
|At The Worksite
|Full or part
or college coursework
Which schools are participating?
- Barr-Reeve High School
- Bloomington Academy of Science & Entrepreneurship
- Bloomfield High School
- Brown County High School
- Eastern Greene High School
- Edgewood High School
- Loogootee High School
- Mitchell High School
- North Lawrence Career Center
- Orleans High School
- Owen Valley High School
- Shoals High School
- Washington High School
The schools assist in recruitment, academic/career pathway alignment, monitoring, and scheduling. Each student also has a mentor that provides support throughout the UpSkill program.
Interested students are encouraged to fill out the UpSkill Interest Form:
Which employers are participating?
- City of Bloomington Parks & Rec
- Diamond Stone Technologies
- FiveStar Technology
- German American Bank
- Graber Post Building
- Indiana Safety & Supply
- Ivy Tech
- Mainstream Fiber
- Regional Opportunity Initiatives
- Richland Bean Blossom Schools
- RTC Communications
- Smithville Communications
- Stone City Products
- TexaCon & Bedford Limestone Suppliers
- VET Environmental Engineering
More employers will be signing on as we grow. Interested employers can contact ROI for information on how to participate.
For more information, please contact ROI at (812) 287-8116 or email@example.com.
Use this form https://forms.gle/uN1uJB7oLDGJtHbM9 or Scan the following QR Code:
Recent UpSkill News
- First microelectronics apprenticeship begins in Indiana Uplands regionWashington High School senior Xavier Frankill will serve as a Staff Engineer with Reliable MicroSystems.
- Students, parents, and employers see momentum with UpSkill youth apprenticeship programWhen college freshman Ethan Scott graduates from the Indiana University Luddy School, he will already have five years of work experience in the world of information technology. While in high school, Ethan began working as an IT support technician for Five Star Technology Solutions through ROI’s UpSkill Work and Learn modern youth apprenticeship program that…
- UpSkill welcomes second cohort with signing dayROI conducted a signing day experience for students and employers participating in the second cohort of the UpSkill Work and Learn program.
- EAGLE CORNER: Career Connected Learning offering apprenticeships to local studentsCareer Connected Learning (CCL) in Brown County offers students career-related opportunities such as career exploration, career engagement and career experiences that all require local industry partnerships. Our Brown County Schools students are involved in CCL activities throughout K-12, but there’s a new opportunity that’s unique to our high school students. Brown County High School sophomores…
- Building bright futures: High schoolers find success with UpSkill apprenticeship programUpSkill is a two- to three-year work and learn experience that provides selected high school students with a paid job, career credentials, and college courses.
- UpSkill Work & Learn and Code/IT programs awarded READI funding; will strengthen regional talent pipeline in the Indiana Uplands￼Two talent development programs have been awarded READI funding to prepare high school students and adults for regionally relevant, high-demand careers in the Uplands.
- UpSkill Work and Learn welcomes students and employersLast week, ROI conducted its second signing day and orientation for students and employers participating in our pilot high school work and learn program.
- UpSkill Work & Learn Signing DayThe first cohort of the UpSkill Work & Learn program celebrated with a Signing Day!
- ROI awarded youth apprenticeship funding from Ascend IndianaRegional Opportunity Initiatives is excited to be selected for the Indiana Youth Apprenticeship Accelerator award that will serve to accelerate the implementation of ROI’s UpSkill Work and Learn Initiative and the region’s industry cluster strategies.