The STEM Fellowship is a year-long professional development program to support teachers to integrate STEM concepts and employability skills into daily instruction.
Over the course of the year, Fellows meet monthly to learn new and engaging ways to build STEM knowledge and skills in their classrooms as well as strategies to help their colleagues grow as STEM educators. We envision Fellows as “pebbles in a pond:” one enthusiastic champion for STEM in a school can have a huge impact. Students, teachers, and administrators across the Indiana Uplands are reaping the benefits of having STEM Fellows serving in their district.
Findings outlined in the ROI Occupational Needs Assessment consistently highlight the importance of having STEM-literate students to meet current and future workforce needs within the Indiana Uplands. Highly skilled graduates also provide a basis for continued economic growth and prosperity. A student competent in STEM knowledge and skills can find success in a variety of fields, but particularly in the Uplands’ three primary sectors of advanced manufacturing, life sciences and national security and defense.
The initiative develops leaders and STEM experts who:
- Provide support to colleagues
- Model innovative STEM lessons
- Participate in professional development activities focused on experiential learning, engineering design process, project-based learning, computer science and other relevant topics
- Actively contribute to the Uplands regional STEM teacher network
STEM Fellows are active classroom teachers serving kindergarten through 8th grade. Fellows are asked to attend all STEM Fellows professional development events over the course of the Fellowship year, to serve as a STEMbassador to peers in the second year, and to be a catalyst for STEM growth within their school. Questions? Contact: Emily Menkedick, Education Specialist, email@example.com.
Recent News on STEM Fellows
- (5/10/22) STEM Fellows Nominations Open
- (10/29/21) ROI awarded Indiana Commission for Higher Education grant for STEM Fellows program
- (7/20/21) ROI’s STEM Fellows Program Grows to 97 Educators Working to Advance Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math in Regional K-6 Schools
- (4/30/20) 35 teachers graduate from STEM Fellow program
- (8/13/19) Fueling the passion for STEM: ROI’s adds 32 elementary and middle school teachers to fellowship program
- (8/6/18) Eighteen Indiana Uplands school teachers begin year-long STEM Fellowship program
- (2/14/18) STEM Fellows tour IVY Tech labs, discover new ways to integrate technology in the classroom
- (2/6/18) Eastern Greene 4th Graders explore Goose Pond whooping cranes
- (7/20/17) Fifteen School Teachers Selected for Regional STEM Fellow Program