Nominations now open for STEM Fellows Cohort 4
Principal nominations for the fourth cohort of the STEM Fellowship will be accepted from Friday, May 1st through Monday, May 11th, 2020. Nominated teachers will be invited to apply on or after Wednesday, May 13th with Fellow selection announced in early June.
A lifelong love of STEM learning and engagement starts early in a student’s academic journey. To support elementary educators in developing STEM teaching and leadership skills, ROI has created a STEM Fellowship to build a network of skilled K-6 educators throughout the Indiana Uplands
Findings outlined in the ROI Occupational Needs Assessment consistently highlight the importance of having STEM-literate students to meet current and future workforce needs within the Indiana Uplands. Highly skilled graduates also provide a basis for continued economic growth and prosperity. A student competent in STEM knowledge and skills can find success in a variety of fields, but particularly in the Uplands’ three primary sectors of advanced manufacturing, life sciences and national security and defense.
The initiative develops leaders and STEM experts who will:
- Provide support to colleagues
- Model innovative STEM lessons
- Design and complete a project-based learning unit
- Participate in professional development activities focused on experiential learning, engineering design process, project-based learning, coding and other relevant topics
- Actively contribute to the Uplands regional STEM teacher network
STEM Fellows are active classroom teachers serving kindergarten through 6th grade. Fellows are asked to attend all STEM Fellows professional development events, to serve as a STEMbassador to peers in the second year, and to be a catalyst for STEM growth within their school. Fellows receive a $2,500.00 stipend during the Fellowship year and relevant supporting STEM resources and materials. Substitute teacher costs are also covered by ROI.
Questions? Contact Adrienne Evans Fernandez, Education Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 287-8116 ext. 111.
Recent News on STEM Fellows
- (4/30/20) 35 teachers graduate from STEM Fellow program
- (8/13/19) Fueling the passion for STEM: ROI’s adds 32 elementary and middle school teachers to fellowship program
- (8/6/18) Eighteen Indiana Uplands school teachers begin year-long STEM Fellowship program
- (2/14/18) STEM Fellows tour IVY Tech labs, discover new ways to integrate technology in the classroom
- (2/6/18) Eastern Greene 4th Graders explore Goose Pond whooping cranes
- (7/20/17) Fifteen School Teachers Selected for Regional STEM Fellow Program